Thursday, May 16, 2013

Changes in Division Leadership

It is my pleasure to announce that effective Monday, May 13, 2013, I accepted appointment to the position interim director of the Health Facilities and Emergency Medical Services Division, which is responsible for the state licensure and Medicare/Medicaid certification of Colorado's health care facilities and services and oversight of Colorado’s EMS and trauma system. I will function in this new role until a permanent division director is appointed.

It is my honor to serve, and I look forward to leading efforts that continue contributing to the safety of the consumer and supporting statewide access to healthcare in Colorado. Many of you know me, as I joined the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment in 2004 as chief of the Emergency Medical and Trauma Services Section after nearly 30 years as a practicing paramedic and college educator. I was appointed deputy director of the Health Facilities and Emergency Medical Services Division in 2011, and I bring more than 38 years of health care experience and policy development at the local, regional and state level. I will use this experience to best lead the division during my appointment as interim director.

As such, I am pleased to announce the recent hire of Ms. Deann Conroy as deputy director of the Residential and Assisted Living Residences programs. She joins the division from the Department of Regulatory Agencies where she was the director of five allied health care program boards. She has significant experience at the local government level as the Chief Assistant District Attorney for the City and County of Denver, and she will bring significant public policy development experience to the division.

To fill the deputy director role of the Acute, Community and EMTS programs of the division, I have appointed Ms. Michelle Reese as interim deputy director. She has been with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment since 2005 and has served in the capacity of EMTS section chief since 2011. She is a former State Assistant Attorney General, and she has spent her career involved in health care policy development and implementation.

To fill the temporarily vacated role of EMTS section chief, I appointed Ms. Grace Sandeno as interim section chief. She is a long-time member of the department and, over the last eight years, she has distinguished herself as Colorado's trauma program manager.

I know organizational changes resulting in contemporary government support of the more than 2,000 licensed health care facilities is a challenge, but will result in improved services and efficiencies to Coloradans. I am committed to continuing and improving the important work that this division accomplishes in conjunction with our many health care partners across Colorado. It is truly an honor and privilege to be a part of this work that helps ensure Colorado’s system of health care serves as the most effective and efficient safety net as possible.

Thank you, and please contact me or any of our staff members with questions or concerns. You can find our contact information on the Internet at www.healthfacilities.info and www.coems.info.

D. Randy Kuykendall
Interim Division Director